Re: buzz to sponsor attendance of non-regulars to DebConf10

(Please CC me)

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 07:40:32AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Would it be worthwhile to explicitly encourage DDs to take this opportunity to
> invite upstream developers (or even, *gasp*, packagers of "their" software for
> other distributions) to Debconf?  I generally have the impression that Debian
> is on a good way already and that DD usually are quite well-connected,
> primarily with upstream developers, but I'm certain there'd still be something
> to be said for sharing experience.

Stefano Zacchiroli replied:
> I like the idea in principle, but I think we should be focused on how we
> invest our resources. For communication too, being focused helps, and I
> believe it would be way better to have a single message, be it either
> "we invite Debian contributors" or "we invite Debian upstream". For this
> time, I'd be more happy to invest Debian resources on the former than on
> the latter. If it works well, at a next DebConf we can do the same for
> upstream.

I agree; also I doubt we have enough money set aside for this to dilute it
much  beyond DDs. Maybe expand to DMs, or emeritus DDs, but only if somehow
very few DDs apply. Would perhaps be better to use this as a model for
other targeted programs for upstreams, etc later.

BTW, I have a personal blog post ready to go, if that's easier than
coordinating to announce it on Planet via a more official blog. It was
already announced officially in Steve's bits mail, anyway.

--
see shy jo