Re: Google AdSense for Debian

On Thursday 04 February 2010 11.29:47 Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:39:28AM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 February 2010 01.43:23 Paul Wise wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > I'd like to suggest this thread be moved to debian-project to get
> > > some input from a larger part of Debian.
>
> I've a voucher too, and I'd be happy to offer it for Debian promotion.
>
> Regarding the -project discussion, it seems to me that we still need the
> information that Adrian asked, and the main outcome of the discussion
> should be that information, then individual DDs can uniformly use them
> (or not: it is their individual decision, at last).
>
> Let me try to provide some of that info.
>
> > I'll need
> >  * a title (2 or 3 words perhaps)
>
> "The Debian operating system"
>
> >  * a text (5 to 10 words)
>
> I believe -publicity would be the best list to suggest something :-), or
> maybe press@d.o (added in Cc).  Still, if I were gunpointed to suggest
> something, I would go for something along the line of:
>
> "Debian: building the best free operating system since 1993"
> "Join Debian, the best free operating system"
>
> >  * what URL to point to
>
> These are from the official website:
>
> - http://www.debian.org/intro/help
> - http://www.debian.org/devel/join/
>
> However, I happen to remember that there was a similar page on the wiki,
> a bit more "up to date", but I can't find one, is my memory b0rken?
>
> >  * Keywords when the ad should show.
> "ubuntu" (?)

I won't do that.  Fueling this debate is unnecessary.  Now entering Windows
is something different.  OTOH that'd certainly be lawyer fodder and I'd
possibly lose the Google account (not that I do much with it anyway.)

I was thinking about trying to address people who are looking into buy a new
computer.  One of the goals of advertising is to make people aware of a name
that didn't know it before, after all.

cheers
-- vbi

--
> Ich würde mich freuen, wenn das in die nächste stabile Version kommt.
Wofür denkst Du habe ich es programmiert ;-)
        -- Ralf Becker