Re: Xen support in Lenny?

Henning Sprang schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> There is an diskussion ongoing in pkg-xen-devel and debian-devel about
>> the future of Xen in Debian. It look-likes there will be no dom0-support
>> (xen host) in Lenny, and domU-support (xen client) for 64-bit is a big
>> question.
>
> Actually, solutions are being thought about - the last thing I saw was
> some interesting proposals for solution/workaround from Bastian Blank.
>
>> Maybe good for an article for the next version of DPN?
>
> Sorry, but I'm failing to see that we can be proud about not supporting
> Xen in Debian - it's an important Software, used by many people, and
> this situation is really pityful.
>
> Really, that's not to blame Debian at all - I do work quite a bit with
> Xen, and know the problematic situation, and mentioned this extensively
> in my last talks at FOSDEM and Debconf - upstream doesn't provide a
> kernel patch for an up to date kernel, and Debian developers don't have
> so much manpower...
>
> But I really don't see the story to make this very public, even less,
> how this will actually help the situation.

I think we should not only write about where we are proud about. And it
is important, so many people should think about it, not only the active
developers.

Maybe it is interesting to ask the people from security. Can they
support the 2.6.18 kernel for a longer time then the Etch-lifetime when
this is necessary for Xen? And Lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel, is this
officially supported?  And what about 64-bits domU's? Maybe an article
becomes more interesting with these answers. But even without them it is
good to write about this problematic situation, I think.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/