Announcement of D-I releases

Hi Alexander and team,

Up till now we've basically only announced D-I releases on our project
homepage [1], on d-d-a [2] and via times.d.n [3]. A copy of the
announcement has sometimes been sent to d-user.
As you can see, basically the same announcement in all cases, which is
possibly a bit boring :-)

But we've not announced anything on d-news (main reason: too much hassle
getting it there). The changelog we send to d-d-a is probably not really
suitable for d-n, but a shorter version with a bit more explanation and a
link to [1] could work.

Note that D-I releases, even though they contain full sets of CDs and
DVDs, are not _Debian_ beta releases or release candidates and that has
to be made very clear to a less technical audience.
They are D-I releases with a testing snapshot; pre-release testing is done
to ensure installs work and there are no major immediately visible issues
after reboot, but nothing further.

What do you think? Should we contact you in the run up to future releases
to coordinate announcements? If we want to do that, we should probably
prepare some template in advance, for both Beta and RC D-I releases.
The next release is likely to be our RC1 release.

The main goal would be (from my personal PoV at least) to get more people
to test releases, maybe emphasizing the need for feedback (in English!)
on foreign language installs and non-standard architectures.

What do other D-I team members think?

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. Thx for the quick follow up on the D-I release with a DPN. Good
timing!

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2008/20080609
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/06/msg00002.html
[3] http://times.debian.net/1252-Debian-Installer-Lenny-Beta-2-released