Logo I just realized I may never have sent in.

I'm not sure if anyone's interested in this, but the latest logo
discussion on debian-* got me thinking about the stuff I'd done a
while back.  After poking around I realized that I may never have sent
this in.  It fixes the biggest problem people mentioned with our (Bill
and my) previous submission -- i.e. complexity.  No penguin, though,
so it's probably a non-starter...

The nice thing is, it's postscript so it's easy to scale/modify.

I've just subscribed to this list, so my apologies if this is
inappropriate.  If so, please just ignore it (it's only 2K).

Feedback welcome.

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

/outer_radius 150 def
/inner_radius 120 def
/tooth_depth 15 def
/tooth_arc 9 def % degrees
/hole_radius inner_radius 2.3 div def

% box to cut back of gear
% Might be better to use cropping, but this works
/cutting_square {
  gsave
  1 2 scale
  45 rotate
  newpath
  0 0 moveto
  0 1000 lineto
  -1000 1000 lineto
  -1000 0 lineto
  closepath
  1 setgray
  fill
  grestore
} def

/main_ring_base {
  gsave

  % set the thickness
  outer_radius inner_radius sub tooth_depth sub setlinewidth

  0 0
  % calc the radius of the ring that the teeth go on
  inner_radius
  outer_radius
  inner_radius
  sub
  tooth_depth
  sub
  2
  div
  add
  0 360 arc
  stroke

  grestore
} def

/tooth {
  tooth_depth setlinewidth

  0 0
  outer_radius tooth_depth 2 div sub
  tooth_arc 2 div neg
  tooth_arc 2 div
  arc
  stroke
} def

/teeth {
  gsave
  0 tooth_arc 2 mul 360 {
    pop tooth_arc 2 mul rotate
    tooth
  } for
  grestore
} def

/rim_text {
  gsave
  /Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont
  12 scalefont
  setfont
  1 setgray

  /tmp_rad inner_radius 5 sub def

  gsave 15 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (D) show grestore
  gsave 10 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (E) show grestore
  gsave  5 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (B) show grestore
  gsave  -1 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (I) show grestore
  gsave -4 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (A) show grestore
  gsave -9 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (N) show grestore

  gsave -83 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (G) show grestore
  gsave -88 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (N) show grestore
  gsave -93 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (U) show grestore

  gsave -168 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (L) show grestore
  gsave -172 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (I) show grestore
  gsave -175 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (N) show grestore
  gsave -180 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (U) show grestore
  gsave -185 rotate 0 tmp_rad translate 0 0 moveto (X) show grestore

  grestore
} def

/hub_guts {
  gsave
  0 0 inner_radius 0 360 arc fill

  % 4 disks cutting holes in the center of the hub
  1 setgray
  0 90 360 {
    90 rotate
    inner_radius 2 div