Re: Debian GNU/Linux Logo chosen

From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> Good choice.  You forgot to give some credit to the artist (Simon?)

That's why. All I have is "Simon?".

> Do you think SPI should trademark it?

Yes, definitely, right away. It turns out that it is absurdly easy to
file for a trademark, I did the "debian" one in about half an hour.
See www.uspto.gov . When that $200 check I wrote the government comes
through, I'll bill it back to the project. I suggest that someone in
the U.S. do the trademark application for the Debian logo as SPI
is a U.S. corporation. Please coordinate with Ian Jackson.

> Conversely, the Linux penguin by Larry Ewing was included in the kernel
> source - so I imagine that means it is covered by the GPL.  Actually,
> Larry grants permission to use/modify it on his web page.

Larry holds a common law trademark (go read www.uspto.gov if you don't
believe in those). He can register it if he wishes, but he has rights
whether or not he registers it.

	Thanks

	Bruce