Re: New Contributor Interested in Joining the Debian Project

On Fri, 2023-01-13 at 11:16 +0530, Rupesh Dubey wrote:

> I hope this email finds you well. My name is Rupesh and I am new to
> the open source community. I am currently learning Python and I am
> excited to start contributing to open source projects.

Welcome to the community!

> I came across Debian OS and I am impressed by the work that you all
> do. I would love to learn more about the project and how I can get
> involved.

Thanks! The intro might be useful to help familiarise you with Debian:

https://www.debian.org/intro/

There are many different ways to get involved in Debian, depending on
what skills you have, what you want to learn and what software/other
interests you have. Most of them are documented here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

> Could you please provide me with some information on how to get
> started? Are there any specific areas of the project that are in need
> of contributions? Are there any resources or guides that would be
> helpful for a new contributor like myself?

Pretty much every part of the Debian project needs help and the same
goes for open source in general.

A common way to contribute to Debian is to help maintain existing
packages within the teams that look after them, or to contribute new
packages either inside or outside an existing or new team.

https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#packaging-tutorial
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams

Since you mentioned Python, you might be interested in joining the
Debian Python module packaging team, or maintaining Debian services
that are written in Python such as the package tracker:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonTeam
https://wiki.debian.org/Services
https://wiki.debian.org/Services/Debian%20Package%20Tracker
https://qa.pages.debian.net/distro-tracker/contributing.html

> I am eager to learn and contribute to the Debian community and I
> would appreciate any guidance and support you can provide.

Hopefully the links above help. For more specific advice, you can join
the #debian-mentors chat channel, folks will ask you about your skills
and interests and give advice.

PS: If you encounter any unfamiliar jargon in your Debian adventures,
our glossary might be helpful.

https://wiki.debian.org/Glossary

--
bye,