Re: Evolving away from source package realms

Hello,

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022, Didier Raboud wrote:
> (Sorry for the delay in getting back to that thread. #life)

Me even worse ;-)

> Specifically, this is something I'd like to discuss in more extensive terms.  I
> think I'm postulating that Debian would be in a better place with a "Debian
> core" topic team, in charge of certain "base source packages", but _ALSO_ of
> core Debian decisions: filesystem layout, default init systems, etc; all these
> things which responsibility is _not_ clearly within a specific source package's
> realm.

But how would this new "Debian core team" take decisions?

De we need consensus? Will they do a mini-GR among them if there's no
consensus? What level of formalization is really required?

At least, your proposal has the merit of empowering some persons to take
decisions on some topics... because our current model clearly doesn't work
well at that level as soon as we cross the boundary of a single package.

Some packaging teams have written "sub-policies" and this goes clearly
in your direction.

IMO we need to take inspiration from the Python community, everybody can
propose ideas and draft DEP[1], and there would be a Debian Steering
Council that would ack or nack the various DEP. Once acked, everybody
should be empowered to make changes as required by the DEP.

Whether the technical committee should be that council, or not, is not
clear to me.

Maybe depending on the scope of the DEP, and the number/set of packages it
affects, it could be validated by topic-team-councils...

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁