Re: Fortunes-off - do we need this as a package for Bookworm?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 12:34:02AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 11:18:48AM +0100, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > "Roberto A. Foglietta" <roberto.foglietta@gmail.com> wrote on 20/11/2022 at 22:14:35+0100:
> >

> I think the bit of "rational approach" is to see *why* the package was
> called "offensive" (because $DPL-of-a-long-time-ago decided that certain
> subjects are offensive and they shouldn't be in the "regular" package),
> and whether it actually results in a net positive (answer: probably not,
> depending on your point of view).
>
> If the "offensive" package were, in fact, mostly nazi and other such
> similar content then you would have a point; but I in fact used to have
> "fortune -o" in my .bashrc file, and, no, it really isn't. You might get
> personally insulted occasionally, but that's about it (and if you can't
> stand that, then, well, don't install the "offensive" package and/or
> don't use the "-o" parameter to fortune -- I mean, there are *two*
> barriers!).
>
> Perhaps if there is something in the "offensive" package that we can
> point to and declare really problematic, we can file bugs about that?
> But just removing the whole package because "oh no" feels like the
> baby/bathwater story and, yes, cancel culture.

It's tagged that way in the BSDs and in the GitHub repository which seems
to be *most* of the upstream. It's an open queston as to whether it's humorous
it's an open question as to who wants to actually maintain it, fix bugs,
add quotes - and, essentially, become upstream (you'd need to get knightbrd
quotes included somewhere, for example).

Dropping fortunes-offensive completely (and the associated
 translations/extra files in Italian and
Spanish) is one straightforward way to solve a problem. There's no firm
consensus for that. That's OK.

Not packaging the single .dat file and telling people how to download it (and
other fortunes files / how to write their own) would be another way.
(And yes, we could be missing out on great fortune cookies from lots
of other places).

The utility of a separate package depends on how much work it is to
produce it. That was the renaming bug that jmtd fixed, I think.
I think removing Hitler/Goebbels quotes from an obscure game is worthwhile:
it stops any association / any *Debian encourages Nazism* and means that we
don't have to worry about hosting it anywhere at all.

It is always worthwhile to remember that Debian is worldwide, is used by
people of all ages and sensibilities and has a set of values.
Whether we need to apply those to every game / piece of content?

The discussion didn't seem to find full consensus but it wasn't intended as
censorship

Andy Cater