Re: SUMMARY [Was Re: Fortunes-off - do we need this as a package for Bookworm?]

On Wed, 2022-11-23 at 12:34 -0700, Sam Hartman wrote:
> It is not necessary, but as I discussed in my long message about
> removing software from Debian, removing creative content from Debian
> has a chilling effect.

I would very much prefer explicit sexual content over Nazi symbols. So
let me make a suggestion:

If we insist on keeping Nazi symbolics in Debian, let's at least also
add explicit quotes from descriptions of Hitler + Blondi sexual
adventures (which I'm sure must exist on the internet), various form of
sexual abuse (there is enough fictional content to quote) and more in
the fortune-off package or elsewhere.

Or are explicit sexual references so bad that Nazi symbols are okay for
freedom of speech, but sexual references not?

In a related question: should we accept packages that link to, say, the
Stormfront web site in user-facing material or source code? (That's not
really hypothetical: I believe we have at least one package referencing
a page including racism and Holocaust denial.)

What about software greeting the user with a friendly "Sieg Heil" ("not
illegal in all juristictions" / "in every jurisdiction in the world"
was used as an argument earlier in the thread...)?

And for the "chilling effect": Debian makes it fairly easy to add
additional software sources; it's not like ecosystems where one or few
providers have a near monopoly like platform App stores, credit card
companies, Twitter, Amazon, ... which use their power to remove content
they don't like. And that is despite providers like Twitter, Github and
so on even having legal protections for third-party content which
Debian would not fall under, i.e., they do more control while having
less legal risks (AFAIU).

Or if you like another comparison more: Debian is more a newspaper
(with selected articles) rather than a generic communication provider
like the post office that can be used to send any information. Not
being able to publish your article in the New York Times is not a
chilling effect or censorship, the post office refusing to send certain
mail on the other hand would be.

Ansgar

--
"He [Hitler] is an extreme masochist who derives pleasure from having a
woman squat over him while she urinates or defecates on his face."