Re: Removing software because we disagree with its values

On Sunday, 20 November 2022 21:54:14 CET Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> If we're going to get Bookworm out, now is a good time to be thinking of
> things that could usefully be removed to lower a maintenance burden

Sorry, but I find this a non-argument.
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/fortune-mod doesn't indicate it was a
maintenance burden at all and the removal of the binary package solved* a
non-Release Critical (severity=normal : https://bugs.debian.org/904882) bug.

This discussion and all the people looking up this package and the time and
(mental) energy spend on this issue**, is also NOT spend on actual RC bugs.

> I suspect there is also a slight difference of understanding of the merits
> of free speech on either side of the Atlantic: it's a cultural thing and I
> suspect I tend to the European side here :)

I'm European and I'm very much on the Free Speech side.

*) Incorrectly, IMO. The request was for a clearer name of the package.

**) I've rewritten this reply several times and in the end removed large parts
of it. And it's costing me quite some time and energy NOT to respond to
several posts in this thread. Time and energy which could have been spend on
more useful/productive things.