Re: Removing software because we disagree with its values

Hi Sam,

I respect absolutely what you say. I'm not sure that fortunes-offensive has any particular literary
merit, I'm not sure myself that, now that the separate binary for fortunes-off has been removed,
that the dat file merits inclusion. It was a leaf package on a small games package that is optional
and not with a high popcon value.

If we're going to get Bookworm out, now is a good time to be thinking of things that could usefully
be removed to lower a maintenance burden

I didn't raise this as censorship. You may have noticed that I explicitly *didn't* raise this as
a member of Community Team but as myself, though I did mention that a query had come to CT about the
Mein Kampf quotes and I wondered if the simpler solution was just to remove them / the package.
[Thanks to Dominik George for grepping them out for me in his reply]

I suspect there is also a slight difference of understanding of the merits of free speech on either
side of the Atlantic: it's a cultural thing and I suspect I tend to the European side here :)

I'm not going to die in a ditch over this but I raised it as a genuine query to the project in good faith
and without any agenda.

All best, as ever,

Andy Cater