Re: Are users of Debian software members of the Debian community?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> On 9/16/22 12:12 AM, Nilesh Patra wrote:
>>
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 06:17:02PM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> bugs are important. I am not a DD so my bugs are not as important to the
> maintainers who have a greater responsibility to respond to a DD's bug than
> to an unknown user's bug. That is the way it should be. No problem here, and
> please no one reply and say I am complaining. I am not. I am just seeing
> how things work at Debian and I think they work fairly well.

Hi Chuck,

*Just because you're a DD* is not a priority call for bugs. At least one
of the bugs you reference is for Xen and seems to have bounced between
Debian and kernel devs. and still, perhaps, not to be fixed, for example.

Xen is a much lower priority than it used to be when it was the first
hypervisor in common use. There are fewer maintainers _anywhere_ with
deep knowledge of Xen. If the bug with Xen keyboard doesnt' get fixed
quickly in Debian, it may be bacause there isn't a maintainer / there
are other higher priority bugs / it genuinely should be fixed upstream.

If you know a fix - you can talk to the Xen maintainer in Debian, you could
submit a patch, you could ask them if they want to work with you to see
it fixed. If they say it's a wishlist bug / they have higher priorities on
their tiem - you can still help.

You can politely ask the Linux kernel maintainers similarly. You can ask the
Linux Foundation at xenproject.org if the bug is still there in their version.
It's a "do-ocracy" that may rely on you to chase.

I reiterate my suggestion to you to go and read list archives / documentation
/ the Codes of Conduct to get a better picture of who you are asking, what
you are asking for and generally "How Debian works". Long messages to
debian-user and debian-project may not help here as an initial approach.

Russ and Wouter and others have made suggestions as to how to approach
people in a better way so that they will listen to you and read what
you have to say more readily.

With every good wish,

Andy Cater