Re: Are users of Debian software members of the Debian community?

On 9/16/22 9:23 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> > On 9/16/22 12:12 AM, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> >>
> > > On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 06:17:02PM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> > bugs are important. I am not a DD so my bugs are not as important to the
> > maintainers who have a greater responsibility to respond to a DD's bug than
> > to an unknown user's bug. That is the way it should be. No problem here, and
> > please no one reply and say I am complaining. I am not. I am just seeing
> > how things work at Debian and I think they work fairly well.
> >
> Hi Chuck,
>
> *Just because you're a DD* is not a priority call for bugs.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I have that idea because of what so
many people are saying on debian-user. I have to remember to
take time and spend it on other places than debian-user because
what the "experts" over their say is not necessarily accurate. Be
patient with me, it will take me some time to learn the Debian
processes. I have to say that practically speaking, the maintainer
does need to take into account *who* reports a bug.

> At least one
> of the bugs you reference is for Xen and seems to have bounced between
> Debian and kernel devs. and still, perhaps, not to be fixed, for example.
>
> Xen is a much lower priority than it used to be when it was the first
> hypervisor in common use. There are fewer maintainers _anywhere_ with
> deep knowledge of Xen. If the bug with Xen keyboard doesnt' get fixed
> quickly in Debian, it may be bacause there isn't a maintainer / there
> are other higher priority bugs / it genuinely should be fixed upstream.
>
> If you know a fix - you can talk to the Xen maintainer in Debian, you could
> submit a patch, you could ask them if they want to work with you to see
> it fixed. If they say it's a wishlist bug / they have higher priorities on
> their tiem - you can still help.
>
> You can politely ask the Linux kernel maintainers similarly. You can ask the
> Linux Foundation at xenproject.org if the bug is still there in their version.
> It's a "do-ocracy" that may rely on you to chase.
>
> I reiterate my suggestion to you to go and read list archives / documentation
> / the Codes of Conduct to get a better picture of who you are asking, what
> you are asking for and generally "How Debian works". Long messages to
> debian-user and debian-project may not help here as an initial approach.

Again, I beg to disagree. The bug is important, and maintainers have
ignored it for over a year. It was not my initial approach to send long
messages to debian-user and debian-project. Debian is such a large
project polite pings are often ignored. It is over a year and a half since
the bug was reported and over six months since any maintainer has
indicated any work is being done to fix it.

Debian processes: AFAIK there is no process for a user to resort to when
an important bug has been ignored for over a year except to make some
noise on mailing lists like debian-user and debian-project. What would
you suggest as a better process to handle cases like #983357?

Best regards,

Chuck