Re: We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 02:52:18PM -0400, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> On 2022-04-08 14 h 35, Julian Andres Klode wrote:> I think individual
> travel to DebConf and similar events is somewhat> out of our control, as
> is the personal behavior of individual> submitters.
> I'm not an expert on estimating CO2 output, but I'm pretty sure DebConf
> is our largest contribution to CO2 emissions, mainly because of air travel.
>
> The question I've been asking myself these past few years is: "Are
> in-person DebConfs worth it?" I think the answer is very clearly yes.

Yes, I got 0 benefit from the 2020 debconf, did not attend 2021, but
every in-person debconf yielded interesting apt discussions with
eventual useful outcomes.

Rotating DebConf between continents is a bit problematic from a CO2
perspective, but then it also enables some people from those continents
to join in the first place, and I think that's valuable to have.
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en