Re: Debian and GitLab Open Source Partnership

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 09:13:53AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Debian as a project actively promoting open core software would be quite
> a change since so far Debian was the major distribution pushing the most
> for a system with only free software as defined by the Debian Free
> Software Guidelines.

I agree. As long as we still ship installation DVDs that won't cleanly
install on the majority of end-user workstation hardware and even on a
sizeable portion of server hardware, call this a feature and dismiss the
working DVD image as "unofficial and not part of Debian proper" this
looks at least a bit skewed.

> There are many developers, and also many companies some of them close to
> Debian, for whom fully free software is a mission.
> Debian promoting a company with an open core business model is a slap
> in the face for many people.

Alone going for Gitlab as the software platform for Salsa was
problematic, but OK for me due to lack of a viable alternative.

Greetings
Marc