Re: Creating a Debian Spending proposals and discussion mailing list

Now that the DPL voting is over, I'd like to ask Jonathan directly what
you think of this idea in the context of your plans for an Expenditure
policy? Could this fit alongside, help feed into it or is likely to be
made obsolete? The thread starts here:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2021/04/msg00001.html

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 10:14:50PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2021, Phil Morrell wrote:
> > Please keep in mind that I'm proposing this list purely as a practical
> > experiment, it does nothing that can't already be done elsewhere, and if
> > it doesn't work out after say 6 months, then so be it. All I'm looking
> > for is an indication that it would not be a complete waste of my time to
> > set up, that doing so has the potential to help Debian, and that some
> > DDs would be willing to review and Second proposals.
>
> I think it's important to experiment in this direction but for a low-key
> experimentation I'd rather go with a gitlab project where you file ideas
> as issues, people vote up and down various ideas with the usual +1 -1
> buttons (gitlab can then show you a sorted list by popularity). You can
> have draft projects in text files and people can collaborate with MR on
> enhancement to those drafts.
>
> We could have a "debian/spending-ideas" if you want so that all DD have
> write access by default. We could restrict access to issues for project
> members (that automatically includes all DD + selected non-DD directly
> added to the project).

Understood, I'm happy to organise it that way too if folks would prefer.
It just *seems to me* that the email workflow of seconds and inline
quoting is less structured and very familiar to DDs for fleshing out an
idea, perhaps augmented with an ad-hoc jitsi call.
--
Phil Morrell (emorrp1)