Re: Debian.net Team

Hi Jonathan

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:21:10PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> The services ran under the debian.net domain are typically run by
> individual Debian Developers or small teams, and range from a toy
> service to something that's short lived or even a service that's even
> considered important and used daily by people in the project.

The IMHO largest problem with debian.net is currently:  All entries are
assigned to single people.  However we try to create more teams which do
things together and avoid single people dropping out.

Also it's currently a mix of services people can use and internal
domains that just exists because they need a name.  So it's not an easy
task to collect what is what without asking.

For the productive Salsa domains, we opted in to just assign them to the
service user instead of one of the developers.  This however means that
only DSA can actually change entries, which somewhat negates the
original purpose of debian.net.

> 2. Create a new team to organise some aspects of everything under
> debian.net, which would include:
>
>   * Keeping the domain list on the above mentioned
>     DebianNet page maintained on a regular basis

I miss a bit what they would actually do here.  It also depends on what
this page should be about.  Services that people can use?  Services that
exist?

>   * Maintain external contacts/relationships with
>     people and providers who we have special arrangements
>     with
>   * Help maintain the list of hosting providers listed
>     on the wiki page above

This sounds more like donation stuff, but yes, it would be helpful.

>   * Have accounts with the major hosting providers so that
>     they can also create new instances whenever there's a
>     new request from a developer

How would you devise the relationship with the cloud team, which
currently holds the accounts and does the more privileged stuff with
them?  (And also is tasked to actually procure contracts with those
vendors.)

Regards,
Bastian

--
She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n!  The batteries are dead!