Re: Debian.net Team

Hi,

On 31/08/20 at 18:21 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> 2. Create a new team to organise some aspects of everything under
> debian.net, which would include:
>
>   * Keeping the domain list on the above mentioned
>     DebianNet page maintained on a regular basis
>   * Maintain external contacts/relationships with
>     people and providers who we have special arrangements
>     with
>   * Help maintain the list of hosting providers listed
>     on the wiki page above
>   * Have accounts with the major hosting providers so that
>     they can also create new instances whenever there's a
>     new request from a developer
>
> There's more ideas that could follow too, but aren't essential right
> now. For example, hosting some backup service for all these services (we
> really have no idea if the people running them keep backups, or where
> they keep them) and maybe assigning some emergency contacts who have
> login credentials for at least important (debian.net) services seem like
> a good idea.
>
> That's it in a nutshell for now. Any thoughts... or volunteers?

I think that this proposal combines two quite different aspects, and
that it might be better to keep them separate.

1. Maintaining contacts with infrastructure providers that are willing
to help Debian. That's of course useful, but not limited to debian.net
services. For example, some QA tasks could benefit from access to cloud
resources.

2. Keeping our important services sanely maintained. Your proposal is to
sanitize *.debian.net a bit. I wonder if instead, we should have a list
of requirements for *.debian.org that does not include "hosted on a
machine managed by DSA". People would then continue to use debian.net as
they do currently, but once the service grows to something really
useful, it gets a review to ensure that it is maintainable, and can move
to the debian.org without necessarily putting more load on DSA.

Lucas