Re: FW: [External] Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux

Mark Pearson <markpearson@lenovo.com> writes:

>>> 3. Rescue partition
>>>
>>> Laptop manufacturers usually don't ship with physical media anymore.
>>> Instead, the laptops have a rescue partition on them for
>>> re-installing/resetting the machine.
>>>
>>> As far as I know both installers we currently use in Debian are fine
>>> from installing from a rescue partition, we just need a nice way to set
>>> that up when initially performing an oem style setup from our
>>> installation media. (again, not a huge technical problem, but probably a
>>> bit more work than #2).
> Actually I have an ongoing exercise to improve the recovery side of
> things with a meeting later this afternoon.

You could do a lot worse than providing a copy of Grml on the disk:

  https://grml.org/

Of course, Grml isn't a direct output of the Debian project, so perhaps
people might take issue with having that as the "Debian Recovery
Option", but it is closely based on Debian, and includes a couple of
ways of installing vanilla Debian, having booted into Grml.

Then again, Grml inherits anyi problems with unsupported hardware that
Debian has, so may need things fixed before it's suitable, depending on
the current issues on any particular hardware.

Cheers, Phil.
[ Typed on my X230 :-) ]