Re: Testing Discourse for Debian - Moderation concepts

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 03:56:28 AM Neil McGovern wrote:
> Could you explain this please? I feel that having a notification (which
> only appears for people who regularly interact with the site) that
> someone is new to the community to be useful.

I am probably going to say more about this in reply to a different post, but,
in general, it would be nice to have something to indicate that when someone
has responded to a post that they have read (and understood) what they are
replying to.

Unfortunately, reading time doesn't always do that for various reasons -- I'll
cite two:

   * people read at different speeds
   * to consider my habits -- I use kmail -- quite often I finish reading one
email, move it to a folder (or trash it), or even start reading an email, but
then switch desktops and do something else -- I don't know whether kmail keeps
track of all the time that particular email was open in kmail and counts that
as reading time -- I suspect it does.

But I do strongly agree with the sentiment of knowing whether someone has read
the entire response or not and reasonably comprehended it and am trying to
think of ways to accomplish that.

Maybe an approach that somehow required the writer of a reply to add a
statement like "I've read the entire email before responding".  (Or I guess if
they use the "TL;DR" response literally (meaning that they didn't read all or
part of the email they are replying to because, from their point of view, it
was too long (or too difficult?) to read, then I might choose to either not
bother considering their reply, or simply respond with some other acronym --
trying to think of one:

  * TU;DR (Too Uninformed, Didn't Read)?

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I (and/or they) can try to think of some
less incendiary responses, and probably a variety depending on circumstances,
e.g.:

   * TD; DR (Too Disrespectful, by virtue of not having read what they are
responding to, Didn't Read)

Hmm, I probably should re-read (again) what I've written here, I think I'm
forgetting something I meant to say.