Re: Testing Discourse for Debian

On Apr 13, 2020, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> writes:
>
> > I think your younger colleagues are perhaps in a similar situation as me
> > then -- the first place they've experienced *real* email volumes is at
> > their first actual professional position; and they don't know how to
> > cope with *everything* being placed into their inbox. I mean, I can't
> > think of any other time before "work" wherein I was getting more than a
> > handful of "important[1]" emails per day; and now I'm suddenly in a
> > position where 30 people all have something "important[2]" to send me.
>
> I have had this conversation with people before about filtering.  The
> valuable counterpoint is "rather than investing time and effort into
> filtering email into buckets and then working out a strategy for when to
> read those buckets, how about instead we adopt a system that discourages
> people from filling my inbox with crap, and instead allows me to find that
> information when I need it rather than broadcasting it to the world just
> in case?"

It's certainly a good question.  In my case, the "different buckets" are
for "different projects", and as such, "different people external to my
employer, who don't have access to our systems ... and shouldn't be
trusted making tickets in any capacity in the first place."

The company has tried it in the past; but it has usually resulted in
more behind-the-scenes work to delete the few thousand incorrectly made
tickets that blow up the monthly metrics and cost more to correct than a
couple more (American/Western European) tier-1 desk people manning the
phones.

Granted, there might be something better on the project side than
"email"; but honestly, with as much trouble as we have getting on
$external_conf_platform (other than the ones that offer dial-in
numbers), I'd honestly rather just stick to the "unmodern" email and
telephone.

> It's rather hard to argue with that.  My current employer uses email so
> little that at least half the time I go more than a day without bothering
> to open my work email.  All the important stuff is in a ticket system, on
> pull requests, or in tech notes that are indexed and searchable.  I
> haven't missed the email at all.

For the teams that use those platforms, they're absolutely wonderful;
and between groups within our company, we use them pretty regularly
(well, I don't - I'm one of the few teams that doesn't use "ticket
bucket" as a definition of "today's work"; but I fully admit and
understand that I am the oddity here).

> I too am very proud of my email filters, but the best email filters are
> the ones that prevent the email from being sent in the first place.

Well, I mean, I'm totally for getting rid of all users too; but then I
wouldn't be getting paid :)

--
|_|O|_|