Re: Re: Testing Discourse for Debian

On April 12, 2020, Russ Allbery wrote:
> [...]
> There is some age correlation with the type of communication mechanism
> one is comfortable with, and reason to believe that younger people
> skew towards being more comfortable with forums than with email.

Who makes up the "younger" crowd?  sub 30? sub 20? I mean, I personally
was in my mid-20s when I first started using Linux (college), and I had
otherwise only been introduced to the internet via AOL.

Learning that there was so much more beyond "AOL Keywords" took a while
(and then that there was stuff even older took even longer); but I
eventually stumbled upon things like Usenet and mailing lists -- and I'm
personally finding that, once the rules are ingrained; they are
significantly more comfortable to use than the "Modern(tm)"
alternatives.

There is something to be said for educating "younger people" with the
old ways -- I mean how many of these "Modern" things are just
re-implementations of what previously existed (except with centralized
control and "oh yeah, pay us").

(Aside, apologies if this is goofy / breaks threading - I had to pull
the reply-to out of lists.debian.org)

--
|_|O|_|