Re: Be nice to your fellow Debian colleagues

Hi Aron, hi everyone,

Aron Xu - 31.12.19, 15:57:22 CET:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 5:00 AM Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:
> > the init systemd GR is over and we have reached the results in a
> > democratic way by following Debian Constitution. However following
> > the process is orthogonal to our opinions, positions we took, and
> > our feelings. Now, more than ever, it’s important to be nice to
> > each other, have a lot of compassion and not be condescending,
> > whatever group you belong to.
> >
> > So, I am sending hugs to all my fellow Debian colleagues no matter
> > whether the are pro-systemd, anti-systemd, anything in between, or
> > something completely different. Happy new year to all of you and
> > the Debian project as whole.
> Thank you for saying so.
>
> Some moments I felt quite heart broken to see Debian is at some level
> of risk that the project rarely faced before. We might hold different
> opinions, techinical or perceptional, such diversity is a strength of
> our community and we could to cherish it by being nice to our fellow
> people.

I am sad that already one Debian developer decided to leave the project
over the result of this GR. One of them who tirelessly worked on fixing
bugs for sysvinit bringing it to a state of exceptionally high quality
when you consider what is left over in the Debian bug tracker. So
sysvinit users in Debian and probably in Devuan lost, that is clear
already – unless someone else steps up which given the outcome of this
GR I see as unlikely.

However, that does not really surprise me. It was one of the possible
outcomes of this GR I clearly warned about. The GR had several options
that are clearly "win-loose", and these in my eyes are never good for a
project. Also in my opinion emotional exhaustion is a bad reason to
actually have had this GR. It is a bad reason cause it justifies
excluding the friction that apparently (!) – nothing external ever
causes an emotion it is always *my* reaction to it – caused the
emotional exhaustion. It does not go into a process of truly resolving
the friction, but instead goes about kind of silencing one side of it.
It can be very easily use as an argument to exclude people and
viewpoints.

I for myself am not sure how much I will feel at home with Debian
anymore. With the option chosen it all depends on the good will of the
ones who "won" with this option. This good will from what I saw has been
quite limited in the past. The outcome of the GR may be harmful to both
the Devuan *and* the Debian community. Cause any popcon stats posted
here usually did not include Devuan popcon stats – for example 3 of my 4
own systems are Devuan already. And the election would only contain
those votes of Devuan developers who are also Debian developers. So I
believe the probable "loose" group of people of the outcome of the GR is
bigger than you can see by the vote results or Debian popcon stats. And
we also do not know how users feel about it, still having Systemd
installed is *not* a vote. It may be coping as everything else in Debian
is connected with some additional risk of breakage – that said I use
elogind on Debian since more than half a year already, things just work.

Of course it is also a high risk for Devuan itself. Devuan may fail due
to the outcome of the GR… and then all those who are left out by the
result of this GR may not have a good Debian like home after all anymore
and would be left over… with either coping with Debian… partly
unwillingly… or switching to another distribution… or… I don't know.

Also if Devuan does not fail there they may need to deviate from Debian
much more than they do by now. Which would reduce the amount of possible
collaboration. Which again would be bad for both Debian and Devuan.

I am prepared to switch over the last of my machines to Devuan which may
mean that I'd drop package maintenance for Debian. I am not yet clear
about it. It depends on the practical results of the GR which is very
much dependent of what people will make out it. Especially those people
who "won" with this GR. And it also depends on how much Devuan and
Debian will deviate from each other. I may even decide to maintain my
packages for Devuan and then Debian would have to do the porting work or
find another maintainer. That said, my few packages have no need for a
Systemd dependency and as long I maintain them, there won't be one. But
it is more about whether I will really feel at home with Debian. Even if
I could technically still contribute to Debian, if it feels like
contributing to something that appears more and more alienating from
what Debian was for me so far I may stop. I am not using RHEL or SLES or
any other purely Systemd based distribution for a reason.

Of course, it would have been the other way around if one of the
Sysvinit favoring options would have won. And that is the whole issue of
the GR. It has "win-loose" options and some lost now. Some options in it
were not about diversity, but about exclusion. Again: Some options in it
were not about diversity, but about exclusion.

Anyway, I am no Debian developer and thus the only voice I could raise
is here… and by freely choosing what I contribute to and use. My
motivation to ever become a Debian developer is zero by now – not only
due to this GR. And in the long run Debian may also loose me as a user.
A difficult decision as I have bonds with the Qt/KDE team in Debian and
would like to continue to work with them, even if just on the occasional
base I do at the moment.

Let's see about the practical outcome of the GR. Right now I think it
did not serve the highest good of the Debian community. It did not
resolve conflict and it may probably not even succeed in silencing it. In
fact I believe as long as all those who prefer to use something else
than Systemd, and thus also the Hurd and kFreeBSD people, do not have a
new home there will still be friction. The outcome of the GR did not
magically make that friction disappear. It is still there. So I am not
sure anymore whether this whole GR even had a point.

If this is a victory for some or who knows even a majority in my point
of view it has been a very expensive one.

Anyway, it is what it is, and I welcome that as well as best as I can.
Knowing that I can freely decide what my personal consequences may be.

Be nice to your fellow Debian colleagues so or so is a good idea. It is
*always* a good idea. Mutuality and harmlessness go a long, long way.

All the best to Debian. I do see *quite* some challenges ahead. Most of
them, if not all of them *community* related. Parts of the Debian
community are hurting and are hurting since quite some time. Again not
just due to the topic in this GR, but also for other reasons.

All the best for resolving at least some of those community related
issues in 2020.

Have a Happy New Year!

Best,
--