Re: Debian supports pridemonth?

Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> writes:

> Hispanic Heritage Month is coming in a few months (at least in the US,
> not sure about international observances).  Perhaps Debian could make a
> public show of support for those of Hispanic origin (who tend to be
> drastically underrepresented in the community).  We already missed Black
> Heritage Month this year in the US, but it is coming in October for
> Europe and will come round again in February in the US.  Blacks, or
> African-Americans, are similarly underrepresented in the community.

> Perhaps we could also show support for Jews and those of Jewish origin
> during one of the principal festivals (Passover, Weeks, or Tabernacles).

I think this would be great.  Explicitly saying to our various communities
on days of significance to that community that they are welcome and
supported in Debian seems like a warm-hearted and open gesture, and I
fully support it.  My employer does this for four or five of the events
that are the most significant to company employees, and it's always very
welcome.

The criteria I'd use (because we do have to draw some sort of line
somewhere, since there are more days or months like this than there are
days and months in the year if you look hard enough) is to let the
relevant community in Debian take the lead.  That also avoids the
occasional issues where there is some supposed recognition of a group that
is controversial or unwanted within that group, which happens from time to
time because humans are complicated.

So, we should look to our LGBTQ project members to decide what Debian
should do for Pride, to our Hispanic members to decide what Debian should
do for Hispanic Heritage Month, and so forth, since they're the experts on
what they would find the most meaningful within the Debian context.