Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

Philip Hands dijo [Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 10:51:10AM +0200]:
> It occurs to me that we could establish some sort of hardship fund to
> make sure that someone who's current situation falls below some minimum
> that we could define, they would be able to apply for funding.
>
> For example, I recently bought some refurbished Lenovo X230 laptops for
> GBP 85.00 each, mostly because that seemed cheap enough that I'd be
> annoyed if my own X230 breaks and I'd not taken advantage of that deal.
> Also, my daughters clearly need laptops.
>
> If there's any DD/DM who's current hardware is more ancient than that,
> then if they'd like to upgrade, but cannot afford to, it seems to me
> that for a small outlay from Debian they might well be enabled to be
> much more productive.

That's something I would clearly agree to. And it's a very different
issue from paying to perform a given task - It's reaching out and
helping those that can better contribute with the project. Besides, in
the example you present, they would be quite smaller expenses for the
project than what I would expect for a finish-a-hard-task gig.

> We've also occasionally had people who've been part of the project fall
> on hard times, and I think that having the ability to quickly provide
> benevolent funding to someone who's e.g. been rendered homeless somehow,
> would also be something that we should try to make possible.
>
> Obviously, this might well bump into rules about what non-profit
> organisations can do, so the details would need to be carefully worked
> out.

This could also work, provided it's done on an equitative basis and
not based on current/recent performance - having it as a
kind-of-safety-net. With some care so that's not a mechanism that can
be abused. And, yes, making sure it's a legal way to spend our money
(but I don't see why wouldn't it).