Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

It might be worth looking on how other organizations in our ballpark are doing stuff.

f.e. IETF/ISOC is in similar situation to Debian/SPI. I am not directly involved in looking into IETF financials, but they have contracts for certain functions (Ops, RFC Editor to name few, for full list see https://iaoc.ietf.org/contracts.html).

I agree that crunching the numbers must be a first step, then next step might be identifying roles within the project that can have clear job descriptions, that might also include roles that we currently don’t have because it can’t be filled by volunteers work. Then this must also include balancing whether we can improve the function if the function is contracted and there are “hard” requirements.

Personally, I don’t have any problem with paying people with Debian money if the competition for the function is transparent (thus done by third party in our case), time-limited and clearly specified so we can end the contract if the conditions are not fulfilled by the other party.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>