Re: Community Team - where we want to go

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019, Gerardo Ballabio wrote:
> > That is, the team would rule on individual cases, rather than issuing
> > "lists of things not to do". IMHO that pretty much would make it a
> > court with the power to judge project members. And I'm not sure that
> > the team not taking actual measures, but just making "recommendations"
> > to other people who are empowered to take action, would make a
> > difference. In fact, that would be curiously similar to how the
> > Inquisition proceeded: technically they never executed anyone, they
> > just sent people to the secular authority with the "recommendation" to
> > burn them at the stake.
> >
> > And if the people empowered to take action can disagree with the
> > recommendation and apply their own judgement, well, that would make
> > the "ultimate authority" concept void, and I would say, would nullify
> > the whole point of having the team "interpret the CoC".
>
> +1

-10 for introducing a comparison that has no place in Debian. We're not
executing or burning people.

That's the kind of comparison that contributes to the bad atmosphere and
is pushing reasonable people to add more rules, so this goes towards your
own goals of wanting less thought police and more freedom.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer