Re: Expense Rules for Mini-DebConfs

Since we're on the topic of travel expenses.

* Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> [2019-10-03 13:42]:
> I realize I had not read https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/HowTo recently; my
> bad. It has:
> > Debian, within the limit of available resources, tries hard to cover travel
> > and accommodation costs for those who have no other means to cover the
> > costs. Participating in developer sprints should be no personal financial
> > burden to any of the participants. Usually, participants are expected to
> > cover food costs by themselves, although exceptions might be considered.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The food rule has been applied very inconsistently in recent years.
Back in the Zack days, Debian didn't cover food at all (I think
stemming from Zack's academic background where you're lucky to get
anything at all), but in recent years this has been different (but
inconsistent).

I don't get the rule for not paying for food:

1) You have to eat when travelling and it will be more expensive than
when you can cook at home (and especially if you travel to a higher
cost location).

2) Food (and some would say beer) is a social thing and isn't one goal
of the sprints to promote social interaction and cohesiveness?

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/