Re: BSP Reimbursements

Hi OdyX,

On 2019/10/02 22:17, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hello Sam,
>
> (I'm hereby answering out of my experience of helping organizing the
> miniDebConf Vaumarcus this year, but without coordination with the rest of the
> team).
>
> Le mercredi, 2 octobre 2019, 16.43:37 h CEST Sam Hartman a écrit :
>> TL;DR: Do we want BSP organizers to take on the responsibility of
>> batching together travel reimbursement requests.
>
> [...]
>
> Third: what rules-of-thumb, or guidelines do we want for travel support?
> In the context of relatively _short_ events (2-5 days), I think we ought to
> put upper limits in term of amounts, and in terms of distance. Put
> differently: set economical and ecological limits. In this day and age, I
> don't think Debian should be supporting flying long distances for short events
> [2]. So we could have a duration-to-distance, or similar, criteria, as well as
> "qualitative" incentives. I'd prefer Debian to sponsor a 600€ train ride than
> a 150€ flight, for instance. As a rule of thumb, what about: "Travel distance
> is max ~400km per event day duration, prefer land transportation where
> applicable"?
> (Also, connected to that "distance" question is also "who gets supported?")

A distance limit effectively prevents people from remoter areas of the
world from attending events unless they organise them themselves or have
the means to afford internation travel. This internation travel can be
very expensive. For example, I live in South Africa, making any
international travel be over 1000kms (just to the neighbouring country).
While I would not expect Debian to sponsor my travel entirely to attend
a 3 day conference in Europe, often partial funding makes attending
these events possible for me (when the duration and content makes it
worth the travel). The trade-off between potential value and
distance/means of transport is inherently personal and shouldn't be
decided by Debian for everyone. If someone feels strongly about the mode
and distance they travel, then that is their prerogative.

Cheers
Kyle
--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀