Re: Standing behind GNOME Foundation against Rothschild Patent Imaging LLC?

Thanks Chris and all for the support that's been shown in this thread,
it really does mean a lot while we're going through this complex period.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:25:53AM +0100, Andy Simpkins wrote:
> Having read the 'claim' being made, I for one, can not see there being
> a case to answer, however my experience does not cover the American
> patant/legal systems.  To me this looks like a classic case of patent
> tolling.  Any and all instaces of which SHOULD be taken into court to
> be struck down and the patent invalidated. On no account should these
> trolls be allowed to walk away without a legal rulling against them.

At the moment, I'm not going to publicly state our strategy or position
on the patent in question, as anything I do say wouldn't be legally
privileged. However, I think I can say that my concern isn't just about
GNOME and this case, but how free software projects are affected by this
sort of patent activity more widely.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 09:03:37PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> Aye aye! We should distribute a fundraising site more widely among Debian
> for anyone in our community who is willing to donate to the collective
> defense of our tools.

At the point when we require significant funds to fight this, I'll
address it. At the moment, we're very much in the preliminary stages of
this legal case. More generally, I'm talking to other folk around how to
make sure that GNOME and free software isn't attacked in future.

Apologies for not being able to provide more clarity at this stage, I'm
sure you'll understand why!

Neil