Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

Quoting Raphael Hertzog (2019-09-29 16:15:30)
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Hector Oron wrote:
> > > Not sure what the problem with LTS is. I thought companies pay for
> > > the extra effort. I think it's a perfectly fine business model.
> >
> > As a very simple summary, companies pay another company (Debian
> > unrelated) to use Debian volunteers time and Debian resources.
> > Debian does not get any share of that work.
>
> I'm afraid that this summary is too simple and thus misleading.
>
> * Freexian (the "another company") is not owned by Debian, but it's
>   not unrelated to Debian. I funded that company, as a Debian
>   developer, to let me contribute to Debian while being paid by
>   customers who are Debian users.

It is "unrelated to Debian" same way as it is unrelated to Debian how
often and how loud I sneeze while while dput'ing packages.

> * Freexian doesn't "use Debian volunteers", nobody is forced to work
>   for Freexian, they all asked to join the team of paid contributors.
>   But Freexian pays them for the LTS work, that's correct.

Debian volunteers indeed are asked nicely if they want to spend their
volunteer time on that not-really-Debian-thing-labeled-confusingly.

And yes, Debian volunteers are also offered to get paid for such work.

> * While we use Debian resources, we are using Debian resources just
>   like any other Debian contributor, the fact that we are paid doesn't
>   change anything. Many Debian contributors are being paid as part of
>   their work. It's just more visible in this case.

"any other Debian contributor" do not use the name Debian for their
not-really-Debian activities.

 - Jonas