Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

On Sat, 2019-09-28 at 14:11:22 +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 02:26:11PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > If I'm mistaken and the m68k port is attracting new contributors to
> > Debian, that contribute in other areas as well, I might be persuaded
> > otherwise.
>
> what about keeping old contributors attracted?

I'm afraid this argument cuts both ways. I would find it extremely
demotivating if Debian started spending money to pay people to work
on tasks that up to now have been volunteer based (where volunteer
of course can include a company volunteering employees time f.ex.).

I already find the LTS effort borderline, where I try to refuse out
of principle to do LTS work for packages I maintain, and where I've
found myself being pretty unhappy that one time I had to do some of
that for a native package, which would have had a very weird release
history otherwise. :/

Regards,
Guillem