Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

Le lundi 16 septembre 2019 à 04:56:19+0800,  Yao Wei (魏銘廷) a écrit :

> > On Sep 14, 2019, at 02:15, Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Does this also imply we are reverting the GR on non-free sections?
> >>
> >> https://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002
> >>
> >> Yao Wei
> >
> > I have a clear doubt about your understanding of my email.
> >
> > Can you develop your point ?
> >

> That was my random thought:
>
> If we cannot use non-free software for Debian packaging, we cannot
> naturally install what we pack to examine the package.  Therefore I
> thought the existence of non-free section is probably doomed.
>
> But since non-free section is not part of Debian per DSC §5, therefore
> that's not so related here.

The other reason I see for it not to be really accurate is that I'm
saying I'd rather keep the current situation (non-free tools like Github
used to package Debian stuff) than enforce the free tooling view. If I
defend the right for people to use github if they wish there is a little
chance I'd advocate for removing the non-free repo. :)

> Sorry for confusion, and I will try communicating carefully.
>
> The usage of non-free tools for packaging should be okay because we
> "can" make free software out of non-free tools, though some would
> think we should use free tools only to build a free society.  I
> believe more in harmony that the world of free software and non-free
> software should be able to co-exist.  This should be a philosophy
> question on the position of Debian, about whether Debian is completely
> non-free exclusive in every way (and whether the existence of non-free
> section should be challenged again).

I personally don't think we should challenge the existence of the
non-free repo.

> However, on the choice of VCS, I think we can REQUIRE Salsa to be on
> the Vcs-Git and make Vcs-Git to be mandatory except for valid reasons.
> Developers should be free to mirror their repository from the service
> they would like to, but they should be two-way synchronized between
> Salsa and the service.  If it is possible, I'd like to propose putting
> multiple Vcs-Git URLs to indicate mirrors.  That could also answer the
> issue that some people prefer free services instead of non-free
> service used by maintainer, and can come in handy in case if Salsa is
> down.

I tend to see people leaving if you restrict the tools they're allowed
to use, not them becoming more prone to free software in any way.

Sure there'll be people eager to make the effort, but I'm afraid some
will just give up contributing.

I hope I made myself more understandable on this one,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2