Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

>   Subject: Free Software Needs Free Tools
>
>   No Debian contributor should be expected or encouraged, when working
>   to improve Debian, to use non-free tools.

Does this include:

 - non-free firmware on Debian hardware,
 - non-free software for interacting with hardware,
 - non-free backup systems?

AFAIK Debian uses all of these and you are probably expected to deal
with them when contributing to relevant parts in Debian.

>   This includes proprietary
>   web services.  We will ensure this, insofar as it is within Debian's
>   collective control.

Does this include use of proprietary CDN networks, DNS services, cloud
services (such as VMs or storage) or social network services (Twitter)?
Again, you probably cannot avoid them when contributing to relevant
parts of the project.

>   For example, Vcs-Git fields in source packages must not refer to
>   proprietary git code management systems.  Non-Debian services are
>   acceptable here so long as they are principally Free Software.

That would just lead to packages using these to no longer including the
Vcs-* fields...  There are some valid reasons to host packages on
services such as GitLab or GitHub such as when they are hosted there as
part of the upstream project and/or for better cooperation with
upstream.

I would not like to make cooperation with upstream more complicated.

Ansgar