Re: Upstream metadata to help our users contribute back to projects we redistribute.

* Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> [190725 10:28]:
> For many of you, I am sure that it is only a reminder.  But in any case
> please have a look at https://wiki.debian.org/debian/upstream and
> https://wiki.debian.org/AppStream for details.

Someone else has asked me recently to ship a
debian/upstream/metadata file, and I now have questions:

http://upstream-metadata.debian.net appears to be dead. Are there
any easy to use tools that help validate/parse the metadata for
developers?

Is there a canonical documentation of useful fields for
debian/upstream/metadata? Why do we not have examples in the Wiki?

With the current state of the upstream metadata docs, I was about to
abandon the effort of adding metadata. It's not clear at all which
fields are useful, how a "normal" file looks like, what it contains,
Skimming the wiki gives me the impression its only useful for
academic citations.
Using codesearch, one will see many different formats in use, with
almost no overlapping fields. I'm not sure how any centralized data
collector should deal with this, and what they would be getting out
of it.

Is the debian upstream data now redundant/obsoleted by AppStream?

Thanks,
Chris