Re: farewell

On 23.07.19 08:32, Aron Xu wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:16 AM Ximin Luo <infinity0@debian.org> wrote:

Mo Zhou:
[..]

Oh, Gnome.

It's a pity that the "software stores" started to think they know
"what the user want" [..]

Just use XFCE. I ditched GNOME years ago and am much happier for it.

The GNOME design philosophy is clearly chasing after Apple and other mass-market strategies. Let me throw a spanner in the works:

Well I'm not endorising Apple, but they've been quite low latency
everywhere... The difference could be manpower, could be that they
control all the closed hardware and software ecosystem, but we can do
a lot better than what we have now.

Apple has a totally different design: the API by design is "not stable". They requires constant upgrades, so always using latest technologies.

It is an interesting idea, but I doubt we can imitate it. BSD distribution with all integrated packages and kernel could go in such direction (but it doesn't scale). Also with One Git To Rule All and team packages, Debian cannot commit to use latest technologies. And BTW this is the contrary message of original email: keep what it is working.

Note: I think X11 on apple hardware/software is slow.

And Marc, please don't just get frustrated, still you can choose from
some other desktop environments like XFCE and KDE, maybe even more
lightweighted ones.

I totally agree. Luckily Debian is a lot used on servers, so we still keep a sane minimal environment. And most of alternative of Gnome are not very different (in capabilities) to Gnome of some years ago.

Ubuntu and Gnome are steps to empower users, but they should not be the target for a empowered user.

ciao
	cate