Re: RFC: endorse debian-mentors as entrance to our infrastructure projects

Hello,

Jonas Meurer:
> Jonas Meurer:
>> So here's the idea we came up with: We could explicitely broaden the
>> scope of debian-mentors to include any questions regarding Debian
>> infrastructure software.
>> That basicly would mean to explicitely mention "questions on
>> infrastruc-ture projects" in our docs about debian-mentors.
>> Additionally, when the infrastructure teams don't have time to mentor
>> new contributors, they could point them to debian-mentors.
>>
>> My hope is that having debian-mentors as an endorsed entry point for
>> diving into Debian infrastructure would lower the entry barrier
>> significantly for new contributors who'd like to dive into our
>> infrastructure software projects.
>
> Next step will be to update the documentation about debian-mentors:
>
> * Update the DebianMentorsFaq wiki page[1] and make it explicit that
>   questions about Debian infrastructure projects and services are
>   on-topic.

I finally found some time to update the DebianMentorsFaq. Would be great
if some native english speakers could review (and improve) it:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq?action=diff&rev1=69&rev2=70

> * Update the debian-mentors list description[2].

I filed bugreport #931634 and asked to update the list description:

> * Maybe add a shore paragraph about the scope of the debian-mentors
>   channels to the startpage of mentors.debian.net? While it's a separate
>   service, it probably is an entry point for prospective contributors.

Maybe that one should be left as is for now, as the whole purpose of
mentors.debian.net is to coordinate sponsored package uploads.

> Once this is done, it should be announced on more popular channels. Misc
> Developer News[4] would be a good one and maybe also a dedicated mail to
> debian-devel-announce?
>
> [4] https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
>
> I think the key to success here is that people in Debian (especially
> those in infrastructure/service teams) have to adapt to the practice of
> pointing newbies with their questions to debian-mentors.

Will do that once the list description got updated.

Cheers
 jonas