Re: Pride Month Discussion has Run its Course

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 08:00:58PM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > But that is my personal mindset I am coming from. If such a mindset is
> > outdated nowadays and not wanted anymore I offer to resign as a listmaster.
>
> I think there are two separate aspects here. One is the "mindset" you're
> discussing here, which I'm positive is shared by most in the project.
> Another is explicitly pushing back against the DPL, whose constitutional
> roles include "Lead discussions amongst Developers", when he asks gently
> to please stop a discussion.
Sam wrote:
"[listmaster copied in hopes they will agree with my assessment here]"

That sentenced basically forced me to write a reply. Maybe, before presuming
consense, the DPL should talk to the other teams. Otherwise it may happen
that they don't agree. Without a reply everyone would expected that we agree,
which is apparently not the case.

> I'm sure that was not your intention, but to bystanders that gives the
> feeling that you're undermining the DPL's authority, and gets in the way
> of the DPL doing his constitutional job in this specific area. So,
> personally, I'm torn here: I agree with your open discussion mindset,
> but the main issue here was (as I understand it at least) of a different
> nature.
In fact I think the dpl is undermining the authority of the delegates when he
acts in a way like that. We have a process for such things: people complain
and we (the listmasters) act on those complaints. The DPL is still free to
overwrite our decision afterwards if we don't agree with him.

> No need to threaten resignation about this, I'm sure your work as
> listmaster is still very much appreciated in the project (and certainly
> it is appreciated by me).
Thanks

Alex