Re: Cultural differences and how to handle them

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 07:05:08AM -0600, Jason Crain wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 11:21:03PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 08:14:40AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > >
> > > [listmaster copied in hopes they will agree with my assessment here]
> > > If you are going to participate in a diversity discussion beyond a
> > > certain point you do need to actually spend some time with google just
> > > as you would for any technical topic.
> > >
> > > In this instance, researching arguments about privilege, criticism of
> > > the all lives matter movement, explanations behind the black lives
> > > matter movement (and why it is important to its members) would all be
> > > valuable.

> > People should [not] be expected to research movements that are relevant only
> > in a handful of countries with < 10% of the earths population for being
> > allow to discuss on Debian lists.
>
> The Black Lives Matter and All Lives Matter references were intended to
> explain that the suggestion to replace gay pride month with an "all are
> welcome" event is not going to be viewed as inclusive, but is going to
> be viewed as an attempt to dismiss and ignore LGBTQIA+ / other minority
> issues.

... be viewed *by people in the US* as an attempt to ...

Slavery in the United States, the US Civil War, Martin Luther King Jr.,
Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter - these are part of your cultural
background that can explain how you think about these things.

Starting and losing two world wars, the holocaust, Germany being divided
after the second world war, people living in non-free societies
1933-1945 and in East Germany then until 1990 - these are part of the
German cultural background and can explain how we Germans think about
things.

In this gay pride month discussion what is politically correct for
people in the US is considered offensive by people in Germany, and
what would be considered politically correct by Germans would be
considered offensive by people in the US.

This is the root cause of disagreement in this discussion.

And it is not correct if we are asked to learn about your history
and cultural background just for being allowed to discuss that we
consider something offensive.

Diversity in a global project requires accepting that there are
major cultural differences between participants.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed