Re: Cultural differences and how to handle them

Hi everybody,

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019, Ian Jackson wrote:

> 2. The stuff about Germany and the Nazis, wtf ?  Is this some kind of
> crazy alt-right dogwhistle ?  It has no relevance here.

It has. it is called "culture" or - if you want - historical background.
one part of the world gets told they are the greatest and they are
allowed (and told) to promote this to the whole world.

Another part of the world gets told to never mention that they are the
greatest - because history shows that this was a bad idea.

So, the same sentence "I am great!" has two completely different
reactions.

Maybe you can not see it, because you are in the UK. but for german
people this is a huge balance act - one the one hand we are a little
bit successfull (in general terms) with our engineering, with tools
and help and so on - but no one _wants_ to see germany being on top of
the political stage because of the bad history we (as germans) made.

that is fine by me (myself, not the german culture maybe). I do not
care who wants to be the greatest. But the impression _from external
and internal people_ is that no one wants the germans to claim to be the
greatest.

do you see the problems?

best regards, Hanno
--
|  Hanno Wagner  | Member of the HTML Writers Guild  | Rince@IRC      |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung meiner Email-Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |