Re: Cultural differences and how to handle them

Adam Borowski writes ("Re: Cultural differences and how to handle them"):
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 11:21:03PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > People in the US are used to minority quotas in various places.
> >
> > In most European countries it would be considered unacceptable racism
> > if skin color would play any role in university admission.
> [...]
> > Children in the US grow up learning that they are living in the greatest
> > country in the world, an example for the world.
> >
> > Children in Germany grow up learning that "I am proud of being German"
> > is an unacceptable antisemitic expression, nearly synonymous to
> > "I am proud of the holocaust".
> [...]
>
> This.  This and the rest of your post.
> You nailed it.

I think this is compete nonsense.

1. Those of us who are in favour of promoting diversity this way
include Russ and Colin and me and numerous other people from whatever
side of the Atlantic and elsewhere.

2. The stuff about Germany and the Nazis, wtf ?  Is this some kind of
crazy alt-right dogwhistle ?  It has no relevance here.

3. What you say about positive discrimination is simply untrue in at
least the UK.  See for example Equality Act 2010 Part II Chapter 2,
"Positive action".