Re: Debian supports pridemonth?

Il giorno lun 1 lug 2019 alle ore 18:24 Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
ha scritto:
> That said, how *do* you want to handle this, assuming that other people in
> the project do want to acknowledge important events for our community
> members?  For example, Debian has made note of Diwali in the past in
> various ways (arguably less obviously than changing the logo, to be fair),
> and it's been entirely uncontroversial.
>
> Having a GR every time the project wants to acknowledge a day that is
> important to part of the project seems rather excessive to me.

Hello Russ,
please rest assured that I never thought of a GR.

In fact, I agree that the Publicity Team should normally be trusted to
do the right thing. I just believe that in this case they didn't and
pointed that out. No big deal, we are all humans, mistakes happen.

> Now, if the *actual* issue here isn't about process, but is instead an
> argument that Debian shouldn't be recognizing Pride, specifically, then we
> simply disagree

Yes, that was my concern, and yes, we simply disagree. I hope we can
still be friends :-)

> And no, I don't think this is something the project should avoid
> because it makes some people uncomfortable.

Well, I think that describing the issue as "making some people
uncomfortable" is somewhat downplaying it. As I see it, the issue is
that Debian declared support of a political initiative that project
members have never agreed to support. (I do not think that having
agreed to the Diversity Statement counts as having agreed to support
Pride. See below.) That isn't just "uncomfortable". That's wrong.

> > An example that is probably more to the point: Debian certainly
> > welcomes Israeli people, but if publicity were to issue a statement
> > that Debian supports a Zionist initiative, I'm sure that many would
> > object.
>
> We could instead acknowledging Jewish holidays as a way of making our
> Jewish community in general feel welcome (if that is something that would
> be meaningful to them).  For instance, Jewish co-workers at my job
> organize an after-work Passover meal each year and invite anyone who wants
> to join.

I believe you missed the point of my example. I was trying to say
exactly that making a community feel welcome (what your answer is
aiming to) is not the same thing as supporting the political
initiatives of (some members of) that community, and one may well want
to do the former but not the latter.

Gerardo