Re: Debian supports pridemonth?

Marc Haber <mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> writes:
> Why dont we just welcome people based on the technology they care for?

To bring an example from my own professional work (astrophysics):
At the 233th conference of the American Astronomical Society (AAS), Jan
2019, there was a plenary talk by Caitlin Casey, Assistant Professor at
University of Texas. One of the undoubtly well-respected members of our
community.

The talk was about an astronomical topic (high redshift universe), but
*each* of her transparencies had a small footnote describing sexual
discrimination or harassment that she experienced.

For me, this shows: minority people, even women in "civilized"
countries, in higly educated environments, in the present have to cope
with bad experiences that are at least rare for white male US or
european citizens. We can't just ignore these experiences, and they make
a difference.

Ofcourse, we welcome everyone. But it is important to explicitly state
that we welcome those who are traditionally discriminated or bulled, and
that we ensure an atmosphere which does not tolerate discrimination,
harassment, or bullying behaviour.

Best regards

Ole