Re: Debian supports pridemonth?

On 2019/07/02 10:35, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> How about a month of welcoming *all* contributors regardless of their
> skin color, their sexual orientation, their political viewpoints, their
> appearance?
>
> How about "all is welcome here"?

That's basically our default state, so you could basically say we do
that every month.

The reason that certain groups of people (women, lgbt people,
disadvantaged people (based on race, location, etc) and so on) gets some
special attention is that they have been historically marginalized and
in many countries that's still even the case. The idea behind diversity
isn't diversity for diversity's sake as some would like to allude to,
but it's about inclusivity and about human rights. And sure, when it
comes to human rights it's going to get a little political, as an
individual I make the choice to deal with that because it's important to
me that my fellow human beings get to have the same rights and access to
the same opportunities that I do. Many in the Debian project feel the
same way and that it aligns well with the ethos of the project.

As for a literal "all is welcome here", that gets more complicated
because people who go against our ethos aren't welcome here. If someone
is a bigot and wants to spew out hatred and propaganda on our platforms,
I'll be one of the first to make a call that they be kicked out. This
doesn't at all meant that people can't have their own opinion or should
be afraid to voice it. But there are those of us that want to make this
world a better place for future generations so that they can both live
and thrive in it, but then there are those regressionists who will
insist on every bad choice possible to set us back as a species. I have
no problem to call these people out, and if they want to be a crybaby
and a snowflake about it and go "boo I don't like politics" every time
that they are proven to be wrong about their views and still insist to
double down on those, then I'm certainly not going to waste any sympathy
on them.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage