Re: RFA: rtc.debian.org

Quoting Sam Hartman (2019-05-25 20:12:26)

> Jonas> I also run Asterisk at a few small networks, and experienced
> Jonas> similar failure connecting with rtc.d.o in the past - but I
> Jonas> didn't try very hard back then.
>
> Jonas> I sincerely hope these renewed efforts can help improve the
> Jonas> experience.
>
> Jonas> No doubt helps also that the protocols and implementations
> Jonas> have since matured some.
>
> I played around with asterisk and rtc in browsers.
> The issue I ran into was that libpjsip had several compile-time
> constants that produced buffers too small for some of the SIP messages
> that webrtc uses.
> When you're using audio, video, DTLS, and ICE, your sip messages kind
> of get big.
> I never tried with rtc.debian.org but I did get things working with
> chrome, firefox and asterisk.
>
> Unfortunately, I think that increasing the compile-time constants may
> break the pjsip API, which may be why Debian doesn't do it.
>
> (It may have sense been done; this was a while ago)
>

> Honestly I think an organized ABI breakage would be worth support for
> webrtc that works with real browsers in asterisk.
>
> If I weren't being DPL at the moment, I totally would have volunteered
> for this myself.
> I'd certainly be open to being roped into a couple hours helping at
> debcamp or something.

You are most welcome to help, and it sounds like you got skills needed!

Others than me in the VoIP team far better understand pjsip and the fork
embedded with Asterisk.  I got the impression that it is quite brittle.
For my own use I many years ago, before pjsip was used, established an
adequately working setup and have so far managed to keep that non-pjsip
setup working in my production systems.

Would probably be quite interesting to share and compare configurations
to identify strengths and weaknesses.  There are so many possibilities
with Asterisk...

See you at debcamp!

 - Jonas