Re: metaphors and feminism

Hello Stacey and debian-project

El 29/3/19 a las 8:42, Stacey Lee escribió:
Hello everybody
[...]

 You are all men

mmmm no.

and maybe you don't
understand empathy so this doesn't make sense to you.
[...]
When most women in tech quietly work so hard to get respect for our coding,
with all the obstacles we face, why do you insult all of us by letting
Molly de Blanc jump the queue and call herself a developer,

We call Debian Developer to the Debian contributors who have Debian finished the New Member process: the process of becoming an official Debian Developer (DD) [1].

[1] https://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

This process allows people contributing code to Debian to become Debian Developer, and allows people making other valuable contributions to become Debian Developer as well.

For example, I don't maintain any Debian package but I participate in the publicity team, the website team and the Spanish translation team, so I decided at some time to go through the New Member process and became a Debian Developer.

Other people regardless of gender have done the same and contribute to develop Debian (the operating system, and/or the community) in other areas (outreach efforts, event organisation, accounting, legal advice, artwork, etc).

[...]

a developer. Where is her code? Interns are even complaining about
her, I found this on a blog:

Debian (the operating system, and the community) is developed by volunteers in their free time. Sometimes our responsiveness in specific tasks or issues is poorer than what is expected and what we ourselves would like to be. But we're human and life happens, we try to improve and usually welcome help in most of the teams. Other times, the work is done behind the scenes so the public info is only part of what is happening.

In any case, AFAIU the lack of responsiveness that you point out is not related to Debian, so that's an issue that maybe it's better to be clarified with the persons or organisations involved.

[...]

Do the rest of us women have to give up coding and run around putting
labels on men to become developers in this community?

Definitely not. All the contributions are welcome, we try to offer a place in Debian for every different skill set.

Usually a mix of skills is needed: even if you contribute mostly code, some communication skills are needed, sometimes you will need to take decisions about choosing artwork, deal with paperwork, write a blog article, or vote about non-technical proposals. The opposite works as well: even when contributing in non-coding areas, you'll probably have to deal with encryption and sometimes complex interfaces, use the Debian BTS, use git repositories, look at source code or write some piece of software to solve some automation issue that affects your team, or vote on technical proposals.

For me, being
a feminist and being a developer don't mean the same things

I believe that there are many kind of feminisms and developers, and all them are welcome as long as they interact constructively with our community [2].

[2] https://www.debian.org/intro/diversity

Kind regards,
--
Laura Arjona Reina