Re: Binary compatibility policy for security updates and point releases

Sam Hartman:

>     Ximin> Jakob Leben:
>     >> I have a system for updating my own software which is also
>     >> deployed
>
>     Ximin> If you Depends: libfoo8, this will prevent dpkg from
>     Ximin> upgrading the library from libfoo8 to libfoo9 until you
>     Ximin> provide a new version that Depends: libfoo9 instead. The 8/9
>     Ximin> numbering is bumped whenever ABI changes.
>
> This is simply not true.
> We don't change sonames when we add symbols to an ABI or make backward
> compatible changes.
> The original poster talked about how this was an issue.

OK, I was a bit imprecise with my wording. In the case of added ABI symbols (backwards-compatible changes), the dependency would look like libfoo8 (>= X.Y), which is automated by the dpkg-shlibdeps stuff. That is assuming the library uses symbols files, which it should be doing if it is trying to provide a finer-grained level of ABI compatibility (as opposed to bumping the SOVERSION on every change).

As a reverse-dependency of the library (e.g. Jakob's program) the process should be mostly transparent if you're using the standard Debian build scripts, which uses dpkg-shlibdeps to auto-generate Depends:.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git