Re: Binary compatibility policy for security updates and point releases

Jakob Leben:
> Hello,
>
> I have not been able to find clear information about Debian policies for ABI compatibility across point releases and security updates. I would assume that no ABI changes at all (backwards compatible or not) are allowed in point releases and security updates. Still, I have not found a clear and unambiguous statement to this effect in Debian documentation.
>
> Could someone please confirm the answer to my question? Would Debian developers consider improving documentation on this topic?

In general, if no documented guarantee exists then you should assume there is no guarantee.

If you are a developer and you link against a particular version of a library in Debian 9.1 and its ABI changes in 9.2, it's a simple task to rebuild it, and in fact that is what all reverse-dependencies of that library in Debian would themselves have to do. Not a big deal; as a developer you are supposed to deal with these issues and make it transparent to your end users.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git