Re: On having and using a Code of Conduct

On Thu, 2019-01-03 at 11:26 -0700, Eldon Koyle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:25 AM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > For those trying to undermine it with statements like "I'm worried
> > I'll be thrown out of Debian if I make a single mistake", please give
> > it a rest already. These are basic principles on how we want all
> > people to interact.
> <snip>
>
> I think there are many who are concerned about the process, not the CoC
> itself.  Here are the main concerns as I see them (at least from the few
> who have come forward), and I believe these are the reasons that people
> are worrying:
>
>   1. The process itself is not well documented (it's new, so expected)
>
>   2. The accused isn't allowed to address the claims against them
>
>   3. The a-h team is acting as both prosecution and judge/jury (usually
> separated to reduce confirmation bias)

There is a separation of roles.  The Debian Account Managers (DAMs)
have the delegated power to decide on expulsions and additions to the
project members.  (Latest delegation is at
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/03/msg00001.html>.)
The anti-harassment team is the usual contact point for complaints and
can recommend actions to the DAMs (or other teams) but doesn't have
delegated powers (as I understand it).

>   4. The proceedings are closed, so claims of unfairness aren't refuted
>
>   5. There doesn't appear to be an appeals process (contact DAM?)
[...]

There is, since any decision by the DPL or a delegate can be overridden
by General Resolution.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer